Monday 12 October 2009

My Top 5 Resources

in no particular order....





Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/


Most people use Facebook as a social networking site, a way of keeping in touch and up to date with friends and family across the globe. I too use it for this purpose, however I have recently discovered it to be a great professional networking resource. Whenever I meet people whilst filming on set we swap Facebook details and keep eachother informed on upcoming castings. This is good because I get to hear about castings I may not already know about and also it means that when I go onset there are usually one or two people there I already know which always helps to calm the nerves!





Starnow

http://www.starnow.com/


Starnow.com is a website which you pay a subscription to upload you professional profile and receive information on auditions and castings. The website will only send you castings that match your criterea and enables you to apply directily to the casting directors.
This website has provided me with a lot of paid work over the last few months which has helped to improve my professional CV.
It has been a great source for establishing a professional network and I have started to be asked back to work on new projects by casting directors rather than needing to go via the website for work.





The Stage

http://www.thestage.co.uk/


The Stage is a newspaper and website for the performing arts industry. It's great for keepiong up to date on news about the industry. It also has features on different things and reviews on current performances.
I find this resource extremely valuable as I feel it is important to keep up to date on information surrounding my chose career. Plus it usually has some good audition information!


Equity

http://www.equity.org.uk/


Equity, for me is a vital resource, as they protect my rights as a performer. They provide information on pay and working conditions as well as information on job vacancies within the industry.

The great thing about Equity is that they do a Student Equity membership so that even though I'm not acting full time yet, when I am acting and studying I still have that support from them.

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/

Youtube is a website in which anyone can post a video up about just about anything and people can view these videos and comment on them. I think Youtube is a great resourse as it allows people to express their opinions on topics, make people aware of certain issues or just show the world the things they find funny,sad, or just plain weird! As a performer its a great way of showing the world who you are and what you can do, and in return the world will come back and tell you exactly what they think of you!



No comments:

Post a Comment