Saturday 13 March 2010

Learning Diary 1

In this first learning diary I want to talk about career progression and whether the decisions we make at certain times in our professional lives are for the best or for the worst. The reason I have been thinking about this is because recently I decided to leave my current work placement at Chickenshed Theatre to peruse my career as an actor elsewhere. I thought long and hard about this decision, I considered what would happen if I left and then struggled to find work, I questioned my ability to “make it”. I also worried about how this change would affect my university course and choosing a topic title. I knew that if I stayed at Chickenshed I would have been supported there in whatever topic I had chosen and been given the resources I needed to carry out my topic research. So was this my safe option?
Since leaving Chickenshed I have focused all of my energy into finding myself the right kind of work and representation. So far I have been extremely lucky and have had a constant stream of work, and only this week landed my first speaking role for a programme for the BBC. I have realised that within the work I am doing now there is a huge network of people that I can call upon to help me research my topic.
I think that had I not left Chickenshed when I did then the opportunities that have arisen since, may not have come up, so I feel that I have definitely made the right career progression for me at this time.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent move i feel!!! Im so pleased for you, hows the researching going? I have come to abit of a standstill as ive changed my job to where i am much happier but have also gained much more teaching work so this module is starting slowly and time management is essential, however im really pleased with my project focus so cant wait to actually start the project xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey.
    What are you doing in your new job? Glad that you're happier there :)
    My research is going well, as I start to talk to people around me I am finding that other people share some of my views about my topic.
    Feeling really comfortable with my move!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thats great news. I left my part-time waitressing job and i am now a PA. Its a complete change and less pennies but im happier now and have more time to do my teaching work.
    Hows the project title coming along? Will you take part in my survey?xx

    ReplyDelete